[Tango-L] Argentine Tango codes, a meditation..

David Hodgson DHodgson at TangoLabyrinth.com
Thu Jan 3 10:01:01 EST 2008

Hello all:
I thought I would start off the new year with some thoughts that might be of
interest to some, a passing fancy to many and I am sure fodder for a few.

Recently there was a little talk about Cebeceo in our community and got me
to thinking about “The codes” in tango. I have only made a few changes that
would only pertain to the community I dance in. the rest is really intended
for Argentine Tango as a whole.
Hope it is of some benefit to someone:

Martin wrote something about Cebeceo, which is really great and hits the
nail on the head.
He also mentioned about the codes. I believe a little clarification and
perspective on the codes needs to be mentioned, and I feel I can finally
talk about now.

I am going to guess most of people reading this list were introduced to the
codes when they started tango. The cebeceo being one expression of these
codes.

The conflict and much confusion I see going around is that the codes we talk
about with in Argentine Tango really do not exclusively exist with in the
tango we all love, revel in, get frustrated with, hate and express. Nor just
in the dance halls or floors where we share together. The codes exist
everywhere in the world each of us lives in. The clerk checking out your
groceries, or janitor. Your boss, and peers. Your husband or wife, partner,
lover/s. Family, friends and loved ones. The stranger walking down the
street, or standing next to in line at the movies, or at the next table in
the restaurant. Perhaps part of a chosen spiritual path. Perhaps the sensual
affections from a hot gal, getting hit on by a hot guy or even a lap dance
from a great stripper. Yes this extends to us on the dance floor and no one
is really exempt. The confusion comes in where we think the codes begin and
end in BSAS. They don’t.

The codes that are talked about (or not talked about) in the milongas of
BSAS are a dialect of the codes we experience in our everyday life. Are they
important, yes extremely. Because the particular dialect of codes that exist
in the milongas of BSAS are the model of the codes we develop for our selves
with in our own expression of this dance.

I am not Argentine nor was I raised there, so I do not understand a lot of
the subtle details of the dialect of the codes down there. I was born and
raised here in the US. I chose to live a different life than most of the
people I see around me, which has often left me feeling like a stranger in
my own home country, except for a few places. In these places I have been,
the codes do not manifest them selves from a place of assumption (your codes
are the same as everybody else’s. “Egalitarian”). A few codes may be handed
to you, for the most part you seek them out, discover, learn and integrate.

In order for this to work one must develop their own codes and have this
work with the rest of the dance hall. Which means that someone has to take
it upon them selves to be aware of them selves and the world, make mistakes,
get feedback from other people. Yes, also be open to receive a dance and
open to ask for a dance. If there is rejection to a request, it is not
personal, it is just a tanda.

I did spend some time in BSAS, not as a tourist but for other reasons. Used
the codes I’ve integrated long before I found tango (and continue to
refine), that work in other places where I have earned my way, and had no
problems in the milongas and on the streets.

Did not impose, just walked in as my self, with what I know, paid attention
to the space where I was, danced well, and made sure to tip the server or
barkeep. Had no problems getting dances from most of the women (many were
local), helped a few women start getting dances from the locals by showing
her off. Yes it does help that I dance well, I also work my ass off to be
good.

If someone wants to adopt a few things from The Argentine dialect into their
own codes, this is great (refinement of your own codes). Or perhaps someone
takes up the practice of integrating the culture and lives it all the time
for a while, outstanding (they will have a lot to share when the project is
complete). If someone wants to take this on as a research project, fabulous
(Please teach what you learned).

I believe the knee jerk reaction going on is (from some of the Argentines I
have talked with and some of the people pulling a sales job touting the
Argentine way). Is about Argentine Tango loosing its heart or the real
meaty, juicy, sublime experience we all crave, or even loosing contact with
it’s culture. That is up to the people who dance Tango. If we rely on the
formula of steps, or imposing that walking is the only way, or continue to
prop “Connection” on a pedestal. Then yes, the Tango we love will become
another ballroom dance. Flaccid.

If we take this next year and developed what our expression is as a
community, (individually and as a whole), find our own voice and style. Not
being right but also tossing in an embellishment and style of arrogance. Men
and Women alike. We have a good community, teachers, people and dancers.
>From my eye and experience our community has the potential, but also has a
lot to learn, experience and integrate. This is just a next step in the
evolution with in our community (please fell free to add any community name
in here).

For the Leads: If you want to tout what you got (Lies!! like your foot
work). I want to see what you got out there on the dance floor and I want to
see this in the face and eyes of the Follow (Nuff said).

For the Follows: I don’t just want to see how flashy the adornment you can
do are (boring). I want to see that you are clearly present with the Lead,
you have accepted a dance from. That your embellishment is a beautiful
accent to the expression of your individual voice (because there are a few
of us that are listening to this when we lead you).

Some people are a part of Tango for fun and a nice social dance only. Thank
you!!
Others are here for different reasons. Thank you!!

There is room and expression for everyone. Each dancing as individuals, in
an embrace with another, and moving as a whole on the entire floor.

Regardless if it is in Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Denver,
London, Tokyo, Berlin, etc. Or even the many salons of BSAS. When we visit
places they will say “Wow, that is dance style of city your from. Show me
something of your style and I will show you something of my own style”. Or
possibly “Buddy, that sucks, show me that step again and will show you a
different step”.

If Argentine Tango is to remain out of the realm of ballroom, then this is
one way how to keep it living and breathing, out of many possibilities.

As far as Argentine Tango forgetting where it came from. I like to think of
this Tango as a connection with a Lover you can never forget. It marks you
for your life time, and no matter where you go there is a thread that is
expressed through this mark. It makes us who we are. Also for us who dance
tango, know we can integrate and not hide this thread.
Argentine Tango must travel away from BSAS for a time, but will never forget
and will return with a new expression.

As Tango will do with each of us.

Now this people,, are the codes and that is also sexy.

I also believe (along with the above) that it is equally true the Argentines
will not let any one else forget where Argentine tango came from either.

Hope everyone is having fun and Happy New Year!!!!
David Hodgson

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:29 AM