[Tango-L] PhD tango sex project

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Wed Jan 2 11:09:05 EST 2008

> Tango and sex...
> I think you'll find that Tango dancers don't actually have much sex,
> they are too busy arguing about the embrace.

Well, maybe on that side of the Channel. :)

During the last pre-Christmas milonga I was chatting with my partner,
and we also talked about relationships within our tango community. While
talking we've counted (using mostly information based on observation and
...well... "reliable" gossip :) ) the number of dancers on the floor who
has or had a relationship with at least one another tango-dancer (not
counting those who started dancing tango _because_ of said partner, but
including married couples who may have started dancing together). After
a suprisingly high ~95%, we've also checked those sitting, along the
same lines. The average was still above 90% (and these are only the
affairs we actually know about), and married couples that started tango
already with each other accounted for less than a 20% of this. Approx.
30% or more had two or more past (and present) relationships, however
the one leading the list had half a dozen (and these were only among the
dancers present at that particular milonga. In this person's case tango
related affairs are in the several dozens - but this is not a usual
thing in the community). People with at least one "clandestine"
relationship (meaning: the couple tries to hide their affair while in
the community) were also over 30%.

Of course, all the above is not really specific to tango. Almost all
small, leisure-related communities are very inbred and therefore the
above is absolutely normal. Compared to competitive ballroom dancers (a
much larger community, with a lot stronger separation from the
"civillians" and with an age-average barely touching 20) or your average
high school the sexual load is a lot lower.

Cheers,
Aron

--
Ecsedy Áron