[Tango-L] The Suggested Lead

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Jan 1 18:35:17 EST 2008

Tango For Her wrote:
> The intent is for the follower to follow my center, my
> chest.

Actually, from where I'm standing, it's an exercise in
*correct* framing.

The frame moves "desde el alma" (from the soul) - or should; the
chest moves and the rest of the frame follows (adjusting only
when you intend to change the space in which the follower is allowed
to move).

Your exercise is indeed a very good exercise to avoid people leading
with what they call "a frame" but really isn't one, when the end
points are dissociated from the "alma" and try to communicate
as autonomous agents, connected to the brain but not the soul
(and more prosaically the chest).

It doesn't only help leaders: do this exercise and the follower will
from then on be acutely aware of any dissociated lead (and very
intolerant of it) when it's inflicted upon them. Some leaders
(the ones who want to learn and indeed "tango for her") will appreciate,
some others will not ;).