[Tango-L] The Suggested Lead

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Jan 1 18:22:26 EST 2008

Tango For Her wrote:
> Feel free to start a thread on "The Frame".  Sure, you
> can say that going through the practice of leading
> with no arms is still a frame.

Oh, I'm not offering a counterpoint because I think
you're wrong in thinking that trying to determine what
I'd call the *minimal* frame is a worthwhile endeavour -
in a frame, less is more; having a conversation
isn't exactly more pleasant when you shout.

But speaking softly isn't the same as shutting up ;).

In other words, I'm playing a bit on the semantics to crystallise
exactly what we all mean.

I just wouldn't want others to be left with the impression
that the absence of frame (as I'd define it - something
delimiting the freedom of movement of both partners so
that they can move together) is something to be excused.

I see an absence of frame (in particular, with the leader
moving to somewhere and expecting the follower to figure
out everything by divination, often because some move
"obviously" follows) more often than I see suffocating embraces.