[Tango-L] bad, wrong, Nuevo

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Feb 29 20:37:24 EST 2008

The truth is, you learn tango by getting inspired and dancing hours
and hours. I see students from time-to-time who get that inspiration.
Only in a community with multiple nights available are you able to
compress two years of learning into six months.

In the US, New York is such a place. San Francisco another. Portland
and Denver not as much, but even in these smaller cities, the
opportunity can be created when you get that inspiration. Dance four
nights per week; Rent a floor; find a partner; take multiple privates.

Incidentally, the first person who expressed that insight  to me was
Daniel Trenner. I think he said it slightly more strongly, like:
"Only, when a community gets multiple nights of tango will the level
of dancing take that leap forward."

And, it a little too obvious to be an insight. 10 hours a week for one
years is like 1 hour per week for ???? years. Some things just take
time on the dance floor. Some things take time-time, while tango
settles into your bones.