[Tango-L] bad, wrong, Nuevo

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 15:39:32 EST 2008

David, what you said summarizes pretty well.

This is a guess.  I think that a lot of people who are
learning steps and are really lacking in connection
think that their connection is okay, because when they
look around, their connections is good relative to
everyone else in the class, or most people in the
community, for that matter.  Why would they question
their connection?  Women are sitting there just
waiting to dance with them!

I don't think it's, so much, a choice of what they
desire.  It's just the world of success that they live
in.  Your success is measured by whether you can get
around the floor and whether you can get through the
classes looking good.

As for whether there are teachers who teach
connection.  Consider this .... a large number of
people that actually go to classes go to the classes
that have the best society, the group of dancers where
you feel like you are having fun, you belong, etc.
When women who, IMO, teach connection much better than
men, start a class, they aren't necessarily successful
at filling the room.  They ARE out there.  People just
don't care to recognize what they are teaching as
important ... definitely because they don't have that
great society.

By the way, a lot of people aren't learning connection
from the teacher.  They are learning it because the
teacher has found a way to get a few advanced and
intermediate/advanced dancers to come to their class.
A lot of people are learning connection through
osmosis, period!  Put your chest on the chest of a
smooth dancer and you will soak some of it up.

Have you ever noticed when someone from NYC comes into
your community?  They could be dancing for 6 months
and feel like they have been dancing for 2 years.
Why?  Osmosis.  They are dancing with better dancers.
Are the teachers in NYC better?  Many are pretty damn
great.  But, osmosis gets the credit.