[Tango-L] Posting & open discussion on Tango-

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Fri Feb 22 20:14:51 EST 2008

David,

Yes, back entradas (some call them sacadas, but technically that is
not correct because sacadas interrupt a turn, and these do not) can
easily be danced in close embrace.  The technical training that is
required for ease and grace is tremendous.

There is a huge confusion about "styles" in tango.  Some "styles" are
nothing more than bad form, bad technique, and, on the whole, bad
dancing.  If people want that "style", fine.  People often select a
"style" without having the technique to build it on.  Dancing in a
"style" without a technique is a lie, a cheap immitation of something
that could be fabulous.  I am all for tango nuevo in good form with
technique and a lot of training.  A good dancer should be able to
dance in any style equally well.

Gustavo, Fabian, Chicho and some others have technique that allows
them to have a true style, chosen by them and not by default because
they cannot do anything else.  And they dance it and show it off only
in performances.

Most of those who immitate them and call themselves "nuevo" dancers,
usually do not have such technique, tend to be quite lazy in regard
to mastering the dance in a technical sense because they cannot dance
anything else, are usually aweful to dance with, look terrible and
appear to be deaf, since most of the movements tend to happen outside
of the music.

Originally, nuevo tango was something very exciting.  We all did it
and worked like demons.  And loved it.  Now it is just a lot of bad
dancing (with a few exceptions).

Best,

Nina