[Tango-L] What's the trick??

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Thu Feb 21 19:10:55 EST 2008

Mario,

Turns and sacadas are not simple moves. I don't think it is a good idea to even attempt sacadas in turns unless you can do them in straight walking already. They are a really good example of why you can't learn tango by just looking at youtube clips or even primarily from you tube. You are also never going to pick them up just from social dancing in my opinion.

To learn how to do them you definitely need a good teacher who will give you the basic technique. Preferably a number of teachers who will show you different ways of doing them, because as with any dancers teachers have their strengths and weaknesses. Typically you will then play around with the dynamics in practica a bit and find a whole lot of other ways you can do them then probably settle down to one approach and timing that you are comfortable with and suits your dance. Just when you get comfortable with that approach it will be time to break it all apart again and try it all from a different perspective ;-). As to when to put them in, once you know them and are familiar with the music it will all just happen naturally and be obvious.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for sacadas and for any tango step there is no single 'trick'. I could say something like - step towards the trailing leg and forget about the leg you are trying to 'bump' as you have put it, but that may be really misleading in your specific case.

At five months I would just be concentrating on walking and ochos. There is already a world of possibilities right there. For instance, how seamlessly can you change from parallel to cross system and back again? Can you walk outside on both sides and back in again in cross and parallel system? Can you lead back ochos so you are moving backward - or in a circle? Can you lead forward ochos so you are walking forward? Can you cortado your back and forward ochos? All of that will help you build up an awareness of your own and your partner's axis that are the foundation for the other stuff you will want to do later and believe me you will still be working on those basics at four years and I think ten and twenty years.

Hope that helps.

Victor Bennetts