[Tango-L] No dancing before the music

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 10:38:42 EST 2008

An article about Astor Piazzola caught my eye first.  When the local
Philharmonic did a concert of his music, my partner (who is very
musical) thought I would like to go (I am NOT musical!).  I went with
some curiosity, but that's about it - until I saw tango dancers on
stage and my first thought was "I HAVE to do that!!"  The thing is, I
have absolutely no ear for music - my kids used to play piano and when
I complimented them on a piece they'd laugh and say that, for all I
knew, they were playing scales - they were right...the only way I can
"hear" music is by moving to it....now that I am learning tango now, I
listen to tango music non-stop, all the time, no matter what - on my
IPOD, on the kitchen CD player, in my car, etc. - to make up for my
"inability to hear" music, but when I do, I picture in my head how I
might dance to it.....and it must be working because a surprising
number of follows hve complemented me on my "musicality."

My point is that - if I had waited to learn the music before dancing,
whenever people mentioned tango, I'd still be saying "yeah, I read an
interesting article about Astor Piazzola once."  These are so many
different learning styles, so many ways to come to tango - all I can
say is "however you got here, I am glad to see you and now let's
dance....."

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango. Thanks!