[Tango-L] Beginners and milongas

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Feb 14 12:40:05 EST 2008

I concur.  There is no social dance that penalizes beginners and
inhibits them from advancing, as much as argentine tango.  I have
noticed that advanced students do not reach out much to dance with
beginners, at the main practica they are dancing with each other.  I can
sympathize, I like to mostly dance with my favorites too.

Unfortunately the tanda system artificially builds in a penalty against
spreading skilled experience around a group (and hence obstructs the
advancement of beginners).  A restriction against changing partners
places a premium on partner skill in choice of partner, and therefore a
strong disinclination to dance with beginners.  It's a 10-15 minute
commitment.  In other social dances, like swing and salsa, it's easy for
better dancers to have a dance or two each night with less skilled partners.

If there is a lead who is sitting back on his heels and pulling me into
his dance space and his feet, I'm going to avoid that like the plague.
I would be far more willing to dance one dance. By three or four, my
back will be aching from trying to control my axis and have appropriate
space in which to dance.  And I'm no perfect follow, I have my issues
too.  People are going to follow their enjoyment and dance with whom
they prefer anyway.  But this stamps out all inclinations to altruism.

I really think practicas need to have some significant period of time
set aside for non-tanda dancing to single songs, to promote the
advancement of beginners.

I know, heresy.  It's too bad.  Hundreds of people up and quit tango
every year because they don't get enough experience outside of class to
properly advance.