[Tango-L] Beginners and milongas

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Thu Feb 14 05:45:24 EST 2008

After such a response to my "breaking the paso basico" post I wanted to ask something else.

Simply; are beginner dancers not actually welcome at Milongas?

Is there some unspoken rule that a beginner should go off and reach a level before visiting a Milonga. Is this what was done in the past or was the milonga orginially more a social gathering where the young and old would just come together informally and dance/learn no matter what the skill level?

Is the Milonga of today different from what it was originally, is this "elite club" feeling something new?

'Mash
London,UK