[Tango-L] Breaking the 'paso basico.'

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Feb 13 10:59:05 EST 2008

I don't think you are being anti-american; just angry and rude. I
don't understand the anger. Rudeness can occur in any culture.

I do not teach the 8CB. I don't do the 8CB. It does not work on a
social dance floor. Try it.... Oops, ran into this guy; oops ran into
that guy; oops why the heck is that guy stepping backwards onto me.
Watch the poor beginners with the 8CB struggle, become frustrated, and
quit. If you an avoid imprinting the 8CB on beginners, you can at
least doubles your retention rate.

I've been to Buenos Aires a number of times.

Frankly? There are a lot of bad dancers in Argentina. It was better 10
years ago, although maybe I've improved as much as the quality there
has declined. I will say that, in general, even the bad Argentine
dancers usually have an understanding of the feel, music and meaning
of tango.

There are several fairly significant differences (generally speaking)
between Argentine teachers and US teachers.

First, Tango isn't taught in a weekend workshop. It is a week-after-
week practice. The "master" of the month blows in like the wind, and
leaves no trace but a few wacky ganchos, bruised ankles and injured
backs. (Actually, there is a strange marketing arms race of
superlatives about each and the next "master of the masters".)

(1) Teaching in Argentina, the students are more likely to know the
music, and know what the dance looks and feels like. Arriving at the
typical milonga, the failure of the 8CB is immediately obvious. You
could almost get away with "just teaching steps", knowing that the
students just need a framework.

In the US, we are faced with teaching the cultural package of tango,
not just steps. Here is the music; here is what it looks like and
feels like; here is how the posture is; here is how a milonga is
organized. I think most Argentine teachers have no concept of how to
teach the cultural aspects to foreigners and just throw up their hands.

(2) Most (not all) Argentines who travel have achieved mastery and
acclaim in Buenos Aires. This normally means they are great stage
dancers or they are good at the athletic, nuevo style. A super-skilled
dancer is not always the best person to teach normal-skilled people.

Nothing wrong with nuevo or stage, but 99% of my students are normal,
people, doing tango for fun. They are never going to be on stage, and
they would need lots of training (and to subtract 20 years off their
age) to achieve the fancy nuevo vocabulary. As a result many (not all)
US teachers and I focus on social style of tango.

(3) Most Argentines don't have the experience of creating and
nurturing a tango community from scratch. Advertising; gathering in
beginner students; getting them to stick and learn; creating the
transition from beginner to Intermediate; watching them figure out how
to dance in a milonga setting.

You learn a few things in 10 years of teaching week-in, week-out,
multiple levels of class, watching your students go out onto the dance
floor, even watching some of them succeed in Argentina.  "De donde sos
vos?", "Como es, que no bailas como estranjero", "Who was your
teacher?", "Who taught you to dance like an Argentine?".