[Tango-L] Breaking the 'paso basico.'

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Tue Feb 12 15:58:20 EST 2008

Trini,

I do something similar. I teach the 8CB as 3 separate figures.

Figure 1 - Steps 1,2 is the Salida;
Figure 2 - Steps 3-5 is walking to the cross; and
Figure 3 - Steps 6-8 is the Resolution.

Of course, step 1 - the back step is usually omitted. A variety of steps and figures can be taught after
Figures 1, 2 and 3, without completing the 8CB.

For example, I can add in a Back Ocho between Figures 1 and 2 or a Front Ocho between Figures 2 and 3.
I can also add in a Giro to left after Figure 1 and a Giro to right after Figure 2. There are many other things to do
within the 8CB.

The 8CB is a very useful teaching tool when used as framework to build on other basic figures in a simple way.
I rarely use it as a complete figure on it's own and the students understand this.

You're correct when you say the 8CB is only bad when used by bad teachers.

Keith, HK

 On Wed Feb 13  3:58 , "Trini y Sean (PATangoS)"  sent: