[Tango-L] Breaking the "paso basico."

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Feb 12 11:54:35 EST 2008

Milonga steps come along so quickly that you don't have time to think.
I notice that people become intuitive-impvorisational dancers more
quickly in milonga. Then the challenge is to translate that over to
tango.

A rhythmic dance in crowded conditions is one way to force that
intuitive-improvisation. When you have longer sequences on an empty
floor, you have every opportunity to complete the same-old, practiced
sequence. When you are forced to rock-step out of trouble, and change
your idea on the fly, then you are forced out of the routine.

Yes, it is more challenging. Use simpler steps. Only by challenging
your well-laid plans will you learn adaptability.