[Tango-L] [TangoDJ] DJ'ing with an Ipod

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 11:49:03 EST 2008

I would also say it's very hard and you need lots of practice before you
actually do it.  But then I mostly DJ at non-tanda type dances (ie, not
tango, I have only DJ'ed tango for parties).  Tom must be a whiz at
this!  You can't really change things up on the fly very easily with an
iPod.  You certainly can't look at your playlists in full through the
tiny screen, or rearrange them on the fly very easily, and it's easy to
make mistakes.  In non-tango DJing I always change my playlists on the
fly, based on what the crowd likes dancing to, to keep the maximum
number of people fired up and on the floor at all times.  Obviously,
this is not the objective in a milonga, with the orchestras and possibly
even the crowded space with a traveling dance and couples waiting to dance.

To me the huge drawback is what Tom alluded to -- changing volume on the
fly.  No matter what I do I have volume issues with different
recordings.  It's easy (but a lot of work) to preset equalizer settings
in iTunes and I have invested a lot of time in that for DJing.  iPods do
not recognize the equalizer data so volume is all over the place.

Tom has a great idea, if you do one playlist for each tanda and one for
cortinas, you can just select the next tanda while the cortina is
playing, and it plays out and then you select the next tanda etc.  So
have lots and lots of playlists and do the work up front.  Two iPods
would also help a lot.  But you will still need to practice to get
comfortable and have a seamless flow of music.

CS

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

business  •  technology  •  entertainment  •  media law