[Tango-L] Your milonga secrets

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:15:42 EST 2008

Jack,

     Yeah, well, I don't disagree with you. But you missed what I was trying to describe. A lame lead/description on my part no doubt.

     But here's the deal as I see it. Yes, clearly a follower is following what the leader leads based on what he's hearing in the music. But as we all know, ala Gavito, proper leading requires the leader to pay attention to and "follow" the follower too in adjusting his steps and timing to accommodate whatever lack of precision in the lead-follow connection.

     But when a leader and follower are in Very Good connection, it can happen that the line between who's leading and who's following blurs. Each is responding to the other. The leader is still leading, but if he's listening closely to his partner and her responses, he'll know what she wants, what she's listening to in the music, and give it to her. I'm not talking about a follower "doing her own thing," I'm talking
about the leader facilitating her self-expression and leading her to do
what she wants to do. It's just that, at milonga-speed it all becomes more difficult.