[Tango-L] Your milonga secrets

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 05:43:19 EST 2008

Trini and Jay,

Sorry, but I just don't get this. When dancing Milonga in particular,
because of the quicker tempo and shorter reaction time for my partner,
I dance in very close embrace with the best connection I can muster.
So if I'm dancing to what I 'hear' in the music, I lead my partner to do
the same, i.e. to dance to what I hear, not what she hears. Sometimes
I might do double-time while leading her to do single-time but we're still
following what I hear. At other times, my partner might 'play' with her
steps or hips in between my leads but she's still following the same
basic rhythm as me. This idea of the lady 'doing her own thing' regardless
of what I hear is like my worst nightmare. IMHO, the lady shouldn't simply
dance to what she 'hears', regardless of what the man hears.

Following the man doesn't mean the lady can't impose her own personality
on the dance. As Trini correctly says Mariana, Geraldine and Elina all dance
their own styles. But each is still following the music that the man hears and
interpets, just maybe some other things as well that don't conflict with what
the man hears.

Some dancers, maybe Chicho, might be skilled enough to dance to one
rhythm while leading his partner to dance to another rhythm but, IMO,
that's way beyond the abilities of most - certainly mine..

Jack