[Tango-L] Your milonga

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 23:36:58 EST 2008

--- On Wed, 12/17/08, Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> IMO there is no way Sebastian Arce will do a milonga totally
> off the beat. He is well known in Buenos Aires for teaching
> milonga musicality.
>
> There must be some problem in that video between the music
> and the dance.

I don't think the issue was Sebastian being off-beat.  There were some moments when he deliberately paused.  In one case, he was still leading Mariana to step while he stood still.  In another, you can see the suspension and the typical "falling back" to lead Mariana to step, which brought attention to the melody line.  He did this so rarely though, that it really made you pay more attention to the music than if he just blew through it.

The video reminded me of a comment made during Chicho's and Sebastian's stop at the DC Marathon a couple of years ago.  A friend who was at Chicho's workshop commented that Chicho asked the class whether they were in control of the music or if the music in control of them.   Sebastian's video show the former.

Trini de Pittsburgh