[Tango-L] Music Signature

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Tue Dec 2 07:46:58 EST 2008

Hi,

I have been updating my iTunes list, and sometimes come across a song
without
a title, or author or orchestra. Yet, I wish to fill in the blanks. That
got me
thinking: it would be nice to have a tool that would analyze a piece of
music,
and provide some kind of signature characteristic (up to 50 numbers that
would
provide some sort of identification of the piece: this would be built
from the
waveform itself, and would contain beat, length of different structural
components,
etc.). Different users would run their music through this tool and
upload the information
to the eng.tango.info database. Then, to fill the details of an unkown
composition,
I'd run the tool on this piece of music, upload the identification
signature to the
database, and search for the music.

What do you think of this idea? Do such tools exist? Does anybody have an
interest?

   Thanks,

    Gordon