[Tango-L] Tango Pedantics

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:21:17 EST 2008

Vince said:
> So Petroleo improved tango and thus it evolved. About when did this
> all happen?

That's what some people say, and apparently what Petroleo himself
thought. I take it with a grain of salt, but Petroleo is definitely
someone worth researching.

See:

- http://www.todotango.com/english/creadores/petroleo.asp

- http://www.planet-tango.com/elfiru/petroleo.htm

He danced from 1928-1988.

I always imagined that this innovation period of Petroleo was in the
1940s, but I don't know really know the dates.

I remember an interview with Carlos Copello (which I can't find at the
moment) where talks about his early days dancing before he became a
performer (so I guess, early 1980s). Copello says he worked in a
produce warehouse during the day. At night he would be at a practica,
where Petroleo was inventing all kinds of crazy things. He would come
from there to work. (If anyone recognizes this interview and can send
me the link I will be grateful.)

Anyway... so perhaps Petroleo was innovating into the 1980s. I don't
know.

In one of the Trenner tour tapes (1992?) he interviewed Lampazo, who
said that (paraphrasing) "everything we dance today was started by
Petroleo." The interview was at Cochabamba 444, so perhaps it is a
regional tango they are talking about.