[Tango-L] obsession with nuevo

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 12:27:52 EST 2008

i tend to agree with Clif, but (and I don' think he is saying this) it
doesn't mean anything goes.  I danced with a young man last night who
prides himself on "never having a lesson in my life.  I just do what I
feel."  Not only does that mean a truly awful dance, it is also
insulting.  I put work into dancing well (or as well as I can), because
I want my partner to enjoy the dance as much as I expect to.  There is
a grammar to tango - conventions, principles, etc. - if you don't
bother to learn it, you are saying that it's not worth it to you to
learn the "language" I am using, because it's about you "doing what you
feel" and not about sharing the experience with me.   On the other
hand, grammar alone does not make a language...., I have had partners
who string together all kinds of tricks and kicks - while it can be fun
and sometimes that's what I want to do -  it can be tough to make that
"tango connection" when you're launching ganchos galore, wrapping your
leg around my waist (or vice versa), etc....... Without at least the
attempt to create that sought-after connection, it just isn't tango.  I
am not saying that these things should never be done, just that they
work best added judiciously to a warm embrace, a confident walk, and
musicality - which are the three things I associate with tango of any
variety, and the only three things I actually do expect from
a partner
(lead or follow).

barbra

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango.  Thanks!