[Tango-L] Tangozone (was dull, dull, dull)

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Fri Aug 29 15:43:17 EDT 2008

Yes, Jack, leaders can get into the "tangozone". I get there often when I'm leading. I recommend not trying so hard to be seductive and creative. You don't need lots of moves to make the dance great - that's just showing off your skill to your partner. Tango is not about that.

You didn't mention interpreting the music - I find when I zone into the music, with the right partner who also hears it, I'm "in the zone"!

I also dance lots of other dances - swing, salsa, ballroom, country - they are all great fun. I love them. I wouldn't give them up. But there is no reaching "the zone" as there is in tango.

This makes me think: If you haven't experienced "the zone" and you've been dancing awhile, it may be time to rethink your approach to tango. The only people I know who never get to the zone are those that approach tango as just another partner dance, with lots of steps to learn. It's not.

Loisa Donnay
Minneapolis, MN

  Jack wrote:
  That's OK for you ladies but, as a man, I'm way too busy taking care
  of my partner and navigating the crowded floor, not to mention trying
  to be seductive and creative, to even think about the 'tangozone' for
  myself.

  I'd like to ask the other guys out there, is it even possible for the man
  to enter the tangozone or is it only for our partners who can relax, close
  their eyes and think about nothing but the music and the dance?

  Jack