[Tango-L] Social Tango

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:16:29 EDT 2008

To Trini again (thanks for the discussion):

> You may not be thinking that you dance a style, but in reality you
> do dance a style, so it's fair for people to ask or to classify what
> you do.
It's so nice when other people take the time to categorize you when
you yourself can't do it.

So, let's say that my way of dancing can be classified according to a
named type.

What will you base it on?

- Instructional pedigree?
- Dance features that suggest a family resemblance?
- The dance circles I associate with?
- My step vocabulary?

What if the music changes and suddenly I am dancing with a partner
from the other family, to "their" music, using their steps. Have I
changed styles?

Does it mean I have two styles, each for a different situation?

What if I could dance a different way with every partner. Would I be
dancing all styles, or would I be dancing one miscegenation style.

If tomorrow I go to the vintage shop and buy some converse sneakers,
skinny jeans, and a used T-shirt (ugh), will I have a style?

When I am trying to cook French, will I be French? (I am French. Er,
Alsatian. Oh, maybe I'm really German.)

Gro(s)hens