[Tango-L] Leading with arm and hands

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:57:20 EDT 2008

Thank you for the many answers to the list and by private mail.  Mostly to the ladies for giving their valuable opinion as being recipient of those leads.

Most good dancers and tango teachers that I have known ( Traditional tango, Stage tango, Canyengue) use their torso, arms, hands, thighs, legs, feet to lead.

I personally can say (from dancing or taking lessons from them) or looking at their instructional videos, that Osvaldo Zotto, Lampazo, Carlos Copelo, Jorge Firpo, Mingo and Pablo Pugliese, Puppy Costello, Nito and Elba, Orlando Paiva, Diego and Carolina, and many others belong in this group. See Diego Di Falco video " Technique for the follower".

This form of leading was the norm for those styles and still is.  The lead is subtle, light, (like a feather touch), invisible, imperceptible to anyone except the follower.  It is necessary to lead certain figures or moves in an open embrace .

Milonguero style uses "only" the torso to lead. Those that only know that style created the misconception that any other form of leading is "a bad habit".

This is not so.    The ladies complains are in reference to "poor leading" and not about the type of lead per se.

If in milonga, for instance, I lead a series of chasees ( single or double time) to the woman's right, I may slightly and at the proper time, lift my right hand on her back to indicate this, this can also be indicated by a slight upward movement of the torso. this is done in American Waltz as well.

If I am traveling backwards, I may slightly lift my rt. hand on the ladies back to indicate that she should lock one foot behind the other , one or more times.

I may force her to cross a leg by slightly touching her leg with mine.  I may stop her movements by placing my foot by hers, parallel or perpendicularly to hers.

I may prevent her to cross by placing my foot by hers.  I may indicate to her to dragg my foot by placing mine by hers and showing an intention of movement with my torso.

I May lead a low boleo by slightly lowering my torso and/or my right hand on her back. I may lead a high boleo by slightly lifting my torso or rt. hand.

I may lead an amague by over rotating her or by using my torso and rt. hand to change the direction of her front cross.

I indicate a jump by lowering myself and lifting.   I indicate to her to lift and wrap her leg around my waist by lifting my rt. hand on her back at the proper time.

These are just a few examples. There are many, many more.  I can lift her foot with mine for a mid boleo or a bicicleta, etc.

Best regards, Sergio