[Tango-L] Open/crossed step uses?

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:56:20 EDT 2008

Larry wrote:
>> I suspect their system [crossed vs open]is good for thinking up new
>> ways of doing movements, but not for improvising them while dancing.

I beg to differ. Generally, I can not tell you which (right or left) foot my follow is on, but I try to NEVER loose track of
our body relationship as defined by 1) crossed vs parallel feet and 2) whether my follow's position is cross or open.
Those two bits of information are what allow me to dance improvisationally, creating movements new to me on the
fly, and to go beyond the simple rhythmic modulations and pattern modifications that often pass for improvisation.

Cheers

David