[Tango-L] How to lead volcadas

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Fri Aug 1 06:33:05 EDT 2008

> A caution for women. If you have any problem with the lean, object.
> Give some excuse (such as a hurt back) if that makes you feel better.
> You can indeed injure your back doing volcadas.
> Larry de Los Angeles

Indeed. And that is why this move, and I mean, especially this move,
should never be taught over the internet and noone should attempt to try
this on a woman after only reading about it on the internet. Fact is,
that a badly led volcada is the most uncomfortable moves of all for a
woman, it is not only painful but indeed poses a health risk as Larry
already mentioned above, even though he makes it look as though it would
always be the woman who has a problem with the lean. A man with bad
balance, poor axis, little strength, bad posture, shorter and/or lighter
than the woman, wrong alignment in the embrace (the volcada needs some
special adjustment you have to know beforehand) - if you have one or
several of these qualities in that list- please don't do it. It feels
awful, believe me.
On the other hand, a man with enough skill and a trained body and of
reasonable weight (I say this because I live in Japan where people are
generally small and slight) can treat the woman to a beautiful
expreience. But then, this man would not sit in front of his computer,
trying to learn this move with the help of larrynla's written
instructions. So please, train in class, or don't do it. You will spare
your partners a lot of aggravation and possibly moemtns of panic,
injuries, like pulled muscles, wrenched backs, sqeezed disks in the
spine and such. AND she might never dance with you again and tell all
her friends about this, too.