[Tango-L] How to lead volcadas

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Aug 1 05:54:16 EDT 2008

Anne Atheling asked me to give some links to videos showing volcadas. So I did a YouTube search which returned 625 videos. After about an hour and maybe 30 videos I gave up. Even the tutorials don't help. Why?
Because they don't break the volcada combinations down. (Well, two did.
Poor camera angles and terrible sound made it imposssible to learn from
them.)

So here is a verbal description. Let's see if I can make this clear and
painless.
I, the leader, step left.
---I, THE FOLLOWER, STEP RIGHT.

I stop, legs apart with right foot in place.
---I STOP, LEGS APART, LEFT FOOT IN PLACE.

I twist my upper body leftward to lead a backward ocho, but stop.
---I BEGIN A BACKWARD OCHO BUT STOP. MY FREE LEFT FOOT IS BEHIND MY
---SUPPORTING RIGHT FOOT.

I firm up my embrace, and straighten my spine just a bit.
---I MAKE SURE MY TORSO IS STRAIGHT AND STRONG. I MAY TUCK MY LEFT FOOT
---BEHIND MY RIGHT ANKLE.

(If I, the follower, have not experienced this lead I know something
special is bout to happen but I don't know what. I likely will not
strengthen my torso. I may feel a touch of anxiety.)

I step back with my right foot, pulling her toward me.
---I LEAN FORWARD, RESTING MY UPPER BODY ON HIS.

(If I have not experienced this situation before I panic. I step
forward with my free left foot. I likely will also step forward with
my newly freed right foot. We both end up embarrassed and/or angry.)

Often nowadays the man will now lead a front boleo ending in a cruzada.
But even if he does not many women will try to do this boleo+cruzada
combination.

BECAUSE SOME TEACHER STUPIDLY TAUGHT THE VOLCADA+BOLEO+CRUZADA AS A
SINGLE UNIT!!!

Teachers should teach the volcada as a separate, simple figure. Why?
Because it lets students create several complex figures. Here are two.

I walk around my partner's pivot point. This is a carousel.
---I DO NOTHING EXCEPT CONTINUE LEANING ON HIM.

I walk backward. This is a drag.
---I DO NOTHING EXCEPT CONTINUE LEANING ON HIM.

Lastly I should say that the beginning and ending of the volcada has
several variations.

Instead of the man beginning by stepping sideways left he could step
forward left or backward left. (Or side/forward/backward right.)

At the end rather than stepping back right he could step side right to
briefly sandwich his partner's feet, then step back LEFT. Either way he
leaves his legs apart.

Alternatively he could add an additional backward step that brings his
feet together.

Some cautions for men. Do a half-turn before doing volcadas - this lets
you see those further back in the flow and abort a volcada before they
come nearer and endanger your partner and your pride. If your are
unsure how expert your partner is with volcadas you should make the
first lean a small one, then work up to bigger ones. If she does not
straighten and strengthen her torso don't try volcadas. This is no
exageration - she could seriously injure her back.

A caution for women. If you have any problem with the lean, object.
Give some excuse (such as a hurt back) if that makes you feel better.
You can indeed injure your back doing volcadas.

Larry de Los Angeles