[Tango-L] how to lead (was 'weight change')

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Tue Apr 29 17:59:55 EDT 2008

As has been pointed out at least several times on this list, tango
teaching doesn't always lead to tango learning.

Some of the problems that I have seen include teaching technique that
suits only the instructor's own physiology, teaching poor technique*, and
offering convoluted explanations of relatively simple concepts.  In my
opinion, nearly all uses of the hands to lead fall into the second
category.  In my mind, what was variously described as multiple or
multi-level leading in the recent discussion on Tango-L falls into the
latter category.

As far as I am concerned, the nearly all of the lead is conveyed with
movement of the man's torso, regardless of style.  The man's right arm
sometimes adds reinforcement as an extension of the torso's movement, but
without rigidity.  Use of the hand is usually reserved for  a few of the
occasions when the follower is asked not to shift her weight as the man
moves.  There may be other exceptions, but nearly all uses of the hand
that I have seen taught are completely unnecessary and potentially
unpleasant for the follower.

Given these basics, I'm reminded of what a woman told me shortly after
dancing with Pablo Veron.  She said in a gushing, dazzled tone, "I didn't
feel like he led me so much as I felt like he willed my movements."  That
has been my goal as a leader--finding the balance between strength, grace
and gentleness that conveys the lead in such a way that the woman doesn't
feel at all pushed around, that she has a good idea what I am trying to
have us accomplish, and that she is able to express her own voice.

With best regards,
Steve

*Some instructors have poor technique in their own dancing, and some
instructors teach techniques that are inferior to their own dancing.  In
one instance, however, I had an instructor whose own technique was
inferior to his instruction.