[Tango-L] Weight of words

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 05:32:42 EDT 2008

Floyd,

Trini, here.  I understand where you're coming from.  We've
swallowed a lot of losses ourselves when we first started
our group.  And I don't think anyone will truly know how
much work an organizer does, except another organizer.

You should be quite proud of the fact that you've created
enough interest in the dance that another has created a way
for tango to continue in Buffalo in perpetuity.  Have you
ever wondered what would happen to all of the work you've
done to build your community if tomorrow you were hit by a
car and died?  Would you want all of that work to simply
cease?  By creating a nonprofit, Barbra has created a way
that can allow tango to grow on its on, regardless of what
happens to you, Barbra, or others.  Isn't that what you
wanted in the first place?

One of the dangers of those who work independently is that
when we leave, our knowledge leaves with us.  And tango is
basically a knowledge-based "industry" (for lack of a
better word).  So it's important for us to share our
knowledge about how we do what we do with others.  You have
an opportunity to do that.

While I also understand your way of thinking that tango
should be free, a lot of people are willing to invest
financially in tango for the same reason you did - because
they love this dance.   That's it.  For them, it's their
way of contributing to the community.  They might not have
the time or skills to do more, but if money is the way they
feel they can help, then let them.  If finances are an
issue for someone, then you can grant scholarships or find
other ways to ease their monetary issues.

You've basically made a major investment in your hobby.
It's starting to payoff, but don't blow the investment by
playing politics.  To me politics is a game in which you
try to make others do what you want.  But when one realizes
that you can't control what others do, then the game of
politics ends.  And mutual respect for others' decisions
begins.

Good luck,
Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:

> Here's my version of the above...:
>
> There are Milongas once a month now, for the past few
> months.., in the
> same place I used to hold them every week.   They now
> draw 30 monthly,
> where we were getting 40 and 50 weekly, until the
> 'politics' started.
>
> Someone simply turned the electric back on to the Tango
> Dancers neon
> sign and,  voila, most of it worked.   Nothing was really
> 'repaired'.
> (Unless something has happened in the last couple of
> weeks.  But I
> don't believe so.)
>
> Visiting Tango instructors are quite often the same
> ballroom sponsored
> and title awarded "A/Tango Champions"...   What are A/T
> 'champions'?
>
> Our Tango community has been converted back to taking
> anything that's
> available dance wise.  The way it was before Tango
> started to grow
> here.
>
> And just for the record...:
>
> I never tried to make money with efforts to grow Tango...
>   I never
> charged for any of the 125 or so dances I held.., and it
> was a *lot*
> of work...   Everything was for Tango.  It is my hobby
> and everyone
> should expect to pay for 'hobbies'.  So it was then free
> for everyone
> who partook of my hobby.  The workshop charges went to
> the instructors
> and I covered some of their additional expenses on my
> own.  Car
> rental, air fare, etc. to make the workshop prices lower.
>   When I
> provided the festival bus last summer, I ate half the
> cost of the bus
> so people would have what I considered a 'reasonable'
> ticket price.
> When I had vinyl bumper stickers made, I paid for half
> that cost and
> sold about 80 of them for $3 each just to get the word
> and the Tango
> URL out there and seen.   I have about 20 left... Anyone
> want one?
>
> I've spent thousands of my money doing nice things for
> Tango here in
> Buffalo and WNY..., and I've never told anyone that
> before.
>
> Now it's different.   I was hoping others would come in
> to help...  To
> cooperate...  To cause more growth, more venues, more
> good instructors
> being brought in...  But it was 'organized'.., into a
> 'club'.., with a
> leader.., instead.    :-(
>
> Almost not worth trying.., you know?
>
> Floyd

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/