[Tango-L] Weight of words

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Apr 29 00:23:20 EDT 2008

Keith...

Last week my reponse went only to you.  A failing I have, not sending
to 'all'.  This one I will be careful to do right.

You said a lot of things privately about 'the great unwashed'.. Being
'protective' of them and all.  How did come to be their guardian?   To
keep them from hearing ideas other than yours?   I know if I were a
newbie coming to Tango L, I would not like knowing there were a small
group of people, and I emphasize the word small, who were trying to
keep them from hearing all sides of a Tango issue. That some people
would eliminate their competition...  To excommunicate them from
'their church' so to speak?

What *should* happen is for people to explain what exactly is wrong
with anything I've said., instead of just accusing me of being wrong
in general.   I'm against teaching patterns to followers,  not
physically forcing ladies into position, keeping Tango improv and to
not mechanize it.   I gave you one person by name, whom I'm sure you
know, who teaches leaders to get their right fingers behind the ladies
left shoulder blade and pull, when she's to be brought around to his
right. That's disgusting.   Is that what you support? People learning
to 'fake' Tango.  To look like they're doing it but not understanding
a single thing on how to dance it..?

You and I started about the same time in the Tango resurgence.   I
tried then to grow Tango in WNY by bringing in Thomas and Heidi..,
Mataj and Nina and then Mataj and Robinn from Ithaca.  A small group
formed but basically it was too early for Tango in Buffalo. Scoliosis
then took my wife out of the picture.  So while you and others were
perfecting your 'smooth' dancing.., I spent nearly ten years in a
Tango wasteland studying what was behind it all...  Without (for the
most part) being able to dance it myself.   But that did not stop the
understand of it.

I concentrated on the origins and concepts.  How and why it came
about.  I bought and watched current and historical movies.., read
books,  listened to the music, bought instructional videos, went to
workshops, kept in touch with Mataj and others all during my
non-dancing era.  My last video from Mataj was a stage show with him
and Rina, Facudo and Kelly, et al. in 2001.  All this time and since I
have been working to tie off loose ends left by various instructors. I
found that many had been trying to 'fool' me. :-/ I called it
'learning Tango from the inside out'.

So while you think smooth is the answer.., I think 'understanding' is
more so.

Those who don't like what I say, need to point out exactly what it is
they don't like.  I would welcome that.   Please do.  Put  your
expertise into words as I've done.   Stop the smoke of childish one
liners, name calling like stupid and idiot.   *That* should get *you*
banned from the list, eh?   It would do Tango and the L a lot more
good..  Just tell me and others what you think is wrong.    Perhaps
you're upset because I'm not 'humble' enough?  :-)   That I don't say
that everyone else is right too?    Cause they're just not, you know?
Some teach patterns to followers.., don't they?  How can that be
right?  Tell me.

Anyone is welcome to contradict what I say.   But don't try pointing
to early-on videos as proof of imcompetance?   Ha!   Those done at the
very beginning of Tango here in WNY that  I'm in fact very proud of...
Those that were done with students of mine at 2, 5, and 9 months
experience.., on their first time alone in the middle of a big floor
with 400 people watching them.   We were not trying to 'connect' with
each other.., I can assure you.  One follower's lips were quivering.
But we did do what we wanted to do.  To demo some slow show Tango to
the 'great unwashed' I guess you call them.   We were happy to get
through it, and very well too,  I must say.   Happy to leave the hot
stuff to Daniel Trenner and Anne Sophie Vile later that night..

So here are the videos referred to.

At Five Months.
http://www.buffalotango.com/html/video_-_knox_1.html
Two vids of Karen and I.

At Nine Months.
http://www.buffalotango.com/html/video_-_knox_2.html
Two vids of Karen and I.  One vid of Sarah and I.

I do admit to being dragged out by that third demo...  I was running
the whole event too...   But do notice that the ladies knew exactly
where and when to touch their feet down, all by themselves.    Without
the need for a ballrom 'frame' either.   They just 'followed' my
leads.

So please say more than 'you know what's best for everyone'.  Stop
trying to censor other people's opinions.   Stop calling 4th grade
names.  Stop the one liners.  Grow up.

Tango on....

Floyd

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *