[Tango-L] how to lead (was 'weight change')

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Apr 28 14:23:04 EDT 2008

Oleh Kovalchuke wrote:
> Alexis Cousein wrote:
>
>> Nobody is claiming that you necessarily lead a weight shift of the
>> follower through your own weight shift, except when the frame is locked
>> (i.e. when your axis and hers are moving in unison).
>
> My "frame" is always "locked" -- I dance in close embrace.

B (close embrace) does not imply A (the frame is locked).

If (or I should say when) the frame is really locked, it is impossible
for you to do a weight change and for your partner to do none;
by definition: a weight change means moving your centre of gravity
relative to your support points, and if the frame is locked, by
definition you can't have one person doing it and the other not.

Even in close embrace (and fully apilado), you'd be surprised at the
number of degrees of freedom there still are. Well, actually, you
wouldn't, given that you seem to be able to shift your weight without
shifting that of your partner.

Alexis Cousein                                  al at sgi.com
Senior Systems Engineer/Solutions Architect     SGI/Silicon Graphics
--
<If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals>