[Tango-L] weight change

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 09:44:03 EDT 2008

Floyd wrote:

> The lady must ignore the leaders independent weight changes, as the
> leader constantly changes his weight when he doesn't want the
> follower to. He wants the follower to change her weight only when
> she's *led* to do so.. Certainly one dances to not let their weight
> changes be felt.

I personally feel that the movement and direction of the man's body
mass _is_ the lead. I think that tango men become better at conveying
their intentions when their weight on the floor is more clearly felt
by the tango women.

Men do not dance so that women can't feel their weight changes. It's
the opposite. The woman is going to respond to where his weight is on
the floor, and where and how his weight is moving.

As for women, the better dancer a woman is, the more acutely she will
sense the man's weight on the floor. The more experience she has in
tango, the more she will know how to respond to this sense of his
weight.