[Tango-L] An innovative Milonga

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:37:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Tango Society of Central Illinois
<tango.society at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The Milonga is my favorite song - dance. I watch videos of them as often as possible.
> >   Since, I also dance it well (haven't yet, seen anyone dance a better Milonga in person)
> >   I'm claiming non-newbie status and pointing to this couple's dance as special !
> >   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wcKFnUI-YU&feature=related
>
> It looks like 'milonga loca' to me. They're killing the dance. Dance
> like that in a milonga in Buenos Aires and you will be barred from
> that place for life.
>
> That's all we need is for more people to use this a role model for
> their own dancing. As if navigation at milongas in the US isn't
> chaotic enough.

     I do think it's very important when posting videos to make it
crystal clear whether the video is being presented as a good example
of social tango (salon) or performance tango (fantasia).  There is
nothing wrong with the Guillermina Quiroga & Roberto Reis milonga
video if it is being presented as a nice example of performance
milonga; but, as you point out, it would be an extremely
counter-productive model for the student trying to learn how to dance
at a milonga.

Huck