[Tango-L] Gender Imbalance in Tango

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Apr 24 11:40:49 EDT 2008

Thanks for the flattery, but as they say, "there's more than one way
to do it".

You can't provide a formula that exactly works for everyone. My
suggestions are useful for teachers to try things, fail and try again,
and think through their methods. I mean, it's easy for me to say "Make
the guys feel successful", but in practice each teacher has to make it
work with their own personality, and their own culture.

I think the biggest problem is that teachers present material at the
level they understand it, not in the layers that make it easy for
beginners to achieve success.

I've worked with some teachers. The group in Ann Arbor asked me to
help build a curriculum. They have taken my ideas, made them their
own, and gone much further than me.