[Tango-L] Milonga Codes

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Tue Apr 22 17:39:37 EDT 2008

Chris, UK wrote:
>Actually those teaching tango have first an obligation simply not to
>sabotage the natural tendencies of intersocial behaviour from which the
>codes arise. A bit more consideration of that can save loads of time
spent
>issuing milonga etiquette directives... with the added advantage of
>actually working.

I agree.  Bad teaching can contribute to poor floorcraft and an inability
to observe the codes.  Tom Stermitz once commented that many people have
walked into the first tango lesson completely able to navigate through
crowded dance floor.  After their first lesson they couldn't.

Let's try to get to a few details that might facilitate a natural
understanding of the codes:
Beginners should be taught the line of dance.
Beginners should be taught that tango has pauses.
Beginners shouldn't be taught rote figures.

How will beginners learn about tandas and cortinas? about the cabeceo?

What if you organize a milonga and a number of people who show up dance
performance-style tango, not social tango, and virtually none of these
people observe the ronda or other aspects of the codes?

By the way, I should mention that a milonga that I deejay for regularly is
quite devoid of problems that might arise from people failing to observe
the codes.  Most of the dancers are experienced, and the facility has many
of the physical characteristics that Tom Stermitz described as
facilitating success.  Sometimes early the evening, the density is a bit
low, which encourages just a bit of random navigation.

With best regards,
Steve