[Tango-L] Speak up if you are uncomfortable - policies

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 22:28:34 EDT 2008

--- "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:

> > if one is to continue to be a community leader, then
> one must be willing to make decisions, take
responsibility, and lead.  ... you either have the trust of
your community or you don't.

> One has to wonder as to the unique factors of third world
> tango that give rise to such a bizarre phenomenon. In the
first and second tango worlds, I'm sure I've never met or
even heard of anyone adopting a title such as "community
leader".

Actually, Chris, there are quite a number of nonprofits
with elected officials (presidents, vice-presidents,
secretaries, treasurers) who are all community leaders.
Their memberships have elected them to handle the affairs
of the club.  These are the "go to" people.  People can,
knowingly or not, take cues from these leaders.

But there are other community leaders, as well.  Teachers
and organizers who work independently.  There are often
issues that these folks, along with elected officials,
handle behind the scenes.  Some work their magic quietly,
some are much more public.  But they are leaders, just the
same.  I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't included in
these discussions and, therefore, unaware of what these
folks do.

> > For managing crises, the textbook case is the Tylenol
> scare.
>
> For further discussion of how a case of the deaths of
> pain-killer users through cyanide poisoning of their
medicines inspires the practices of tango "community
leaders", would someone please start a separate mailing
> list?

The point of the article, since you seemed to miss it, is
to be proactive in dealing with problems.  And, well,
having a local tango teacher on trial for sexually
predatory behavior is an issue.  But there are other
problems that can arise, as well, such as a loss of the
main teacher in a community with no replacement in sight.
In a small tango community that can be seen as a crisis.
How one handles it can either cause a panic or help create
opportunities.

And, Chris, if you're not interested in the issues of
community leadership, then you're free to use your delete
key.  I, for one, have learned alot from other community
leaders who shared their experiences with me so that I can
help my community grow.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/