[Tango-L] New "nuevo tango" Sacrifices Tradition and Grace

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Thu Apr 17 15:24:02 EDT 2008

Joe Grohens wrote:
> "tango is a sensuous undertaking of direct erotic power and great
> feeling. Dressing well for it gives it even more of this power because
> the elegance of the dress enhances the fires rising from the soul and
> the heart.
> The fires, as it were, hide themselves within the clothing. They
> smolder there. They're fanned by suggestion and nuance. They begin to
> appear as the result of the erotic give-and-take between two very
> involved dancers, and when the flames finally break out, they are
> truly incendiary."
>

> Terrence forgot to mention that "tango was born in the brothels".
>
> Now that's a tradition we really want to nurture.

Sure it is... *in context* Meaning that tango -- as with all partner
dance -- is an interaction. It  therefore has a good deal more to it
than just what he alludes to. Correct me if I am wrong, but in Argentina
it was, until recently, seen as an old folks dance, right? Something you
(*groan*) are put upon to do at a wedding with your slightly dotty Aunt
Maria.

Interactions have rules for dealing with people we like, don't like,
strangers, friends and such. You wouldn't want to get a huge smooch from
some stranger every time you met him or her, would you? Why would you
want that in your dance? Oh sure you can get all hot and horny if that's
where you relationship is at (don't need tango for that, BTW, maybe just
get a room?), I guess. Just don't get in my and Aunt Maria's way please.
We call that etiquette. It's gotten to be good fun to transgress
boundaries, but that usually supposes that everyone will be scandalized
in a good natured way by it, or so it is dearly hoped.

Sorry, but I've seen a lot of discussions on these sorts of articles and
it impresses me that tango is varied enough that you can dance it with
someone you cannot stand as well as someone you hold near and dear. I
personally have no intention of dancing it hot and heavy with any
follower I don't really feel a strong bond with and actually aim to keep
the first few dances pretty bland until we have scoped each other out
and have figured out our comfort levels.

Of course, I suck, so maybe I'm just full of it....

Cheers,

Jeff