[Tango-L] "nuevo tango" -- Basic economics and exoticism

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 09:43:11 EDT 2008

I enjoyed reading the different positions offered in
regards to tango
styles.  One missing point in this discussion is
simple economics.  =
Tango
Nuevo proliferates because there is a demand for it!!
=20

>From the student perspective learning Nuevo Tango is a
matter of =
individual
esthetic and personal connection with the dance and
music.  I would find =
it
difficult to express my feelings in Nuevo style while
listening to the =
words
of "El Choclo".  -- "Vieja milonga que en mi horas de
tristeza, traes a =
mi
mente tu recuerdo cari=F1oso". =20

But as I said before that is a personal choice.
Students are free to =
choose
what they want to look like on the dance floor as they
listen to words =
and
musical notes. Perhaps the traditional AT form and
expression feels
oppressive and too conforming... too square.  So let's
look different =
and
cool... yeah !!

The second issue addresses instructors.  Here
economics plays a larger =
role.
We all know that competition in a free market economy
only allows the =
best
to prevail. If you cannot succeed as a top
professional in a given area =
you
then need to change strategies.   Product
differentiation is an old =
trick to
bring the worse in one area to the top on another.  So
NUEVO TANGO
emerges...  A new space where one can claim to have
mastered certain
movements and thus command $$$ for services
rendered.=20

In a rare moment :-) I agree with Nina's posting.  It
is a matter of
maturity and experience (or perhaps not).  One thing
is certain... as =
long
as people are willing to pay for Nuevo Tango classes
you will find =
someone
teaching it.

The creation and marketing of Nuevo Tango is a great
strategy to create =
niche on the market where one can exploit and earn a
decent living.  =
Lets
market, and sell... and does sexy sell??  Sure it
does.  Package some of
that "sexiness" with pictures of exotic places and
birds and voila!!!  =
You
have created the perfect vacation package for those
seeking the thrill =
of an
exotic and sensual experience.  Such experience
promises to move the =
novice
tango dancer away from the drudgery of their daily
life and work.  =
Perhaps a
few days in an exotic place away from bills, children,
church, neighbors =
and
the white picket fence with 2 cars garage will
re-energize my life. =20

Nuevo Tango is giving a voice for those dancers that
find it difficult =
connect with the culture, feelings and emotions
associated with the more
traditional  form of AT.

Amaury