[Tango-L] New 'nuevo tango' Sacrifices Tradition and Grace

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Apr 17 01:38:02 EDT 2008

Pablo Inza was my very first dance teacher when he and Gladys Fernandez
visted Hong Kong a number of times in 1995 and 1996. This was in Pablo's
pre-Nuevo days when he was a very traditional and conservative Tango
dancer and teacher. All the time was spent on basic technique with no hint
of any fancy figures. I also know Pablo Vilarazza and Dana Frigoli and have
attended their classes in Hong Kong and at DNI in Buenos Aires. Pablo and
Dana are great dancers who are also well schooled in the more traditional
Tango of the milongas.

The point I'm trying to make is that all the top Nuevo dancers in BsAs are
equally comfortable in other styles of Tango, including the close embrace
of the milongas. IMHO, people should first learn more traditional Tango
and then, if they have the necessary dance ability, they can go on to
try some Nuevo.

Unfortunately, Nuevo isn't going to go away, but if the dancers have
already grasped the basic techiques of traditional Tango, hopefully, their
Nuevo won't look too bad :-).

Keith, HK

 On Thu Apr 17 11:53 , Ira Goldstein  sent: