[Tango-L] New "nuevo tango" Sacrifices Tradition and Grace

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Thu Apr 17 01:35:14 EDT 2008

Great article.  Thank you, Huck.

I think that it is OK that they dance that way.  For now.  If they
are under 30, they probably do not have the inner resources to
appreciate the finer things  of tango that the author refers
to.  Some of it may be even scary for them.

But if you give them 10 years or so, they might change.  By that
time, all of the current traditionalists of whatever age might be
dead, and so these people will be the future dancers.  And they will
not dance as they do now.  This stuff is deeply unsatifying after one
achieves a level of maturity that commands self-respect.

So tango nuevo is a great trick meant to suck in the young and
innocent, and keep them there until they become smart enough and
mature enough to be trusted with the real thing.

Nina