[Tango-L] New "nuevo tango" Sacrifices Tradition and Grace

Ira Goldstein eyegee at twcny.rr.com
Wed Apr 16 23:53:41 EDT 2008

   I was at Practica X one night when Dana Frigoli & Pablo Villarazza
(the founders of DNI) and Pablo Inza and Mariela Sametband danced
improvisationally to music selected by the crowd after a tandem
seminar. Milena Plebs showed up to watch them perform and was
enthusiastically appreciative. It's interesting to consider that, in
contrast to other people's scornful denigration...

  I've never attended a class at DNI, and that evening at Practica X
is my only experience of Dana & Pablo. To me it seems that they
clearly offered much to deepen the tango of dancers no matter what
their personal style of social dancing might be--and their
improvisational performance was exquisitely musical,  creative,
displayed much dynamic range and graceful technical facility,
intimately connected, evocative and inspiring.

--Ira
Ithaca, NY