[Tango-L] Leader's only class.

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Apr 15 18:37:46 EDT 2008

There were five leaders.   Four men and one woman...

I taught open embrace minus the embrace.  No hands  tango.   I taught
to *expect* that the follower will be exactly where they're supposed
to be after any given step, if they get the proper lead..  Then came
the leads for the leader to tell the follower what steps to take, by
themselves, under their own power, balance, and direction.  That a
physical frame for moving the lady around is not really needed.
Although it sure feels nicer...   Of course if the lady has her eyes
closed, she will need a 'frame'.  But it must be kept in perspective.

I taught the leaders to give the lead and then follow it.  Placing
their feet confidently, to be able to go on to the next move with no
'modifications' needed... (because the follower wasn't where she
should have been), and to keep the beat or syncopation they have going
in their heads as the only timing necessary to their steps.   Because
the follower should be listening too.  To be working to allow and aid
all of this to be easily done.   I taught that the followers should be
working just as hard at maintaining their part of the dance as the
leader does his.  'Centered', posture, and readiness for whatever was
next.

I taught that one dances with Tango.   Not with another 'person'...
Just the dance itself.  Tango stands between the partners.  It's the
reason physical appearances, heights, weights, even disagreeable odors
are tollerated in a partner.   As long as that partner understands
Tango and is able to do their part well.   It is the dance that is
most important.

Everyone seemed to understand what we had to say.   Except perhaps one
man with 6 months of Tango learned in another city.   He asked, 'What
about those who want to be an 'active' follower?'  That's not quite as
bad as 'military intelligence', but it is the first thing that came to
mind.   My second thought was that followers are able to be as active
as they wish.  Accepting or rejecting invitations, embellishing,
timing, etc...  But only that which stays within the confines of the
leader's plan.   Else they will both very likely end up on the floor.
Btw.., the leads were taught as done with an open frame.   That's more
understandable to a new person.., and to those previously taught they
need to remember instead of imagine.   But the ideas are still there,
with some minor adjustments, when doing close embrace.

1 Follower to stay absolutely centered with the leader in whatever
position they elect to dance...  Flat on, V, v, open, etc...  It is
the follower's job to stay there.

2 Distance.  The space between the parterns that the follower chose at
the start of the dance.  It is the followers job to keep it.

Leads 3 and 4 often work together or alternate in doing the same
job....

3 Offset Parallel Shoulders.  Shoulders may be used as a lead to pivot
the axis to a new direction, or not.., depending on the step.
Partner's shoulders can be flat-on while doing a linear grapevine. Not
a lead.  Shoulders can be used to pivot the follower back and forth
while standing still.  A lead.

4 Extended arm.  The extended arm pivots the follower when the
shoulders do not.   All in all this lead is probably only used to lead
between 10 to 15 percent of the dance steps taken.

It is not needed for forward, backward, or side steps to the side of
the non weight bearing foot.  It is only needed for lateral moves that
require a pivot to forward or backward to be done.  And many of those
are led by the shoulders instead.

Of course the combining of these various leads when and where
possible, makes everything work even nicer.

I understand this is all very basic and some will say I've left a lot
out.  Of course I have.  It was only the first *hour* of Tango
instruction.   The rest is in our online lessons.   Instruction to
enable using what is going on in each of the dancers heads and minds,
step by step, instead of trying to pull off perfect looking patterns
that both have learned by rote.

I have learned too from this experimental lesson...  I do see that
leader classes CAN be 'couples'.  They will likely be even more
'neutral' than taxi followers...  Just never teach a 'sequence' to a
follower.  Only single leads, to both at once.   To lead, or be led
by, as the case may be.  Let the leader experiment with them direction
wise.   Later provide the leaders with short non standard step
sequences  to see if he can bring the lady through them, without them
knowning what is coming.   Later, to get into the more expected moves
that are done by most... Again only showing them to the leaders only.
There's much more to say of course.  But this is long enough.
I'm happy enough knowing they understood what I was saying, and liked
it.

Tango on...

Floyd...

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *