[Tango-L] Not Nuevo Milonguero

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Thu Apr 10 18:25:27 EDT 2008

Dear All,
The couples you refer to in Tango Bar are all social dancers, a few of
them taught a little, most of them are now dead. They are dancing what
is sometimes referred to as Villa Urquiza style. Al and I met most of
them in 1987-1990 and took classes from 5of them including Fino Ribera
and Roberto Grassi. IMO they were then, and would still be, if they were
alive, high among the best dancers in Bs As + the world. Please note
that although not dancing what is now called Close Embrace, they have no
trouble dancing on a crowded floor, although everything is improvised.
Those we talked to told us that they danced in the late '40s- early '50s
and then very little until 1983. And not only are none of them young,
none had any dance training, which opened up possibilities for those of
us without either of advantage.

Our amazing luck in meeting these people changed the way we thought
about tango in1987 and is our basis for judging dancers to this day.
This scene in Tango Bar is probably as close as it is possible to get to
the Golden Age of tango.. There are a few clips on Ney Melo's Youtube
page, thank you Ney!
Abrazos,
Barbara Garvey