[Tango-L] Nuevo Milonguero

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 13:26:07 EDT 2008

Recently I looked at "Tango Bar" again. I seemed to remember that there was an awful lot of
  the moves that are usually thought of as nuevo in there. There is in particular one scene in
  which dancers dance to "La Comparsita" in a very elegant setting. They appear to be in very
  close proximity to each other, based on the positions of their feet. You see, the first 2/3 of
  the scene shows only their feet and legs. Again, many many, very complicated movements
  and "foot play". Many things that most of us would probably label as "nuevo".
  The punch line here is that finally, we see the dancers from the chest up and note that they
  are all at least middle aged.
  The film has a 1988 copyright.

  Fabian Salas states that the first meetings of their "Tango Investigation Group" happened
  before 1990", and most sources list 1995 - 1997 as the years for the Group. So it is
  extremely unlikely that the filmed performances were influenced by "Nuevo".

  Salas has said that "We came up with in line boleos and ganchos like this, but everything
  was already there. We didn’t invent them. They were already there."
  http://www.totango.net/salas2.html
  If you wish to read a more in depth coverage of this look at this url
  http://www.history-of-tango.com/tango-renaissance.html
  Close embrace dancers looking like "Nuevo" dancers? It is perhaps a case of Back to the Future.
  Meawhile, it is possible to use the process of analyzing how apilado movements work to
  teach people how to dance the apilado style of "close embrace", and I know at least one
  instructor (and I can probably count two) that approach their teaching that way.
  In that respect the Nuevo Milonguero label might be appropriate.