[Tango-L] snarky comments on Atlanta demo

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 09:47:05 EDT 2008

--- Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

> ... I was talking about students being inspired and, for
that, 'fine dancing' just won't do. What is the purpose of
a demonstration at a Tango Festival, if not to inspire the
> participants?

I've put finger on what bothered me about the video.  And
it wasn't the teachers.  It was that the teachers were just
so spread out that there wasn't any energy to the teacher
demo videos.  It's something I've seen in other group
videos where it seems as if the couples are in a parade.
For social dancers, the energy comes from other dancers.
In a solo performance, the energy comes from the audience.
I think that if they had been grouped together toward the
center, then the video could have been more inspiring
because the dancers would have picked up on that energy.
As it was, one could only get snapshots of the dancers.
One couldn't really focus and enjoy the entire performance.
 Live and learn.

I have found a lot in inspiration from these teachers when
I've watched them perform.  I love Robin's playfulness,
Brigitta's connection and playfulness with her partner,
Mariko's grace, Robert's gentle giantness, Barbara's clean
dancing, Tomas' elegance and technique, among other
attributes.  Most of them have taught here and inspired
students.  And I would have liked them to be presented at
their best.

People can find lots of different things to inspire them.
Perhaps I'm just projecting what I'm trying to work on now
onto a piece of film.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/