[Tango-L] on open-embrace teaching (was something on inventingsteps)

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Sat Apr 5 20:33:22 EDT 2008

Hmmm - this isn't my experience. I don't teach fancy patterns, or in open embrace, and I
teach lots of technique. Yet I generally have more men in my classes and my classes are
quite successful. I hear that another teacher in town, who teaches in open and with lots of
complicated patterns, has more women in his classes.  Now I'm not saying that there aren't
guys in town who are drawn to do too many fancy moves that they haven't learned how to lead
yet, just that it's not good to generalize. Nor is it always the men - sometimes there are
women who ask the men for fancy moves.

Then there's the teachers from out of town - We had a visiting teacher in town last week
who taught the move where the woman secadas the man. I dislike that move, as it is almost
impossible to lead well, and I don't think it is musical, beautiful or comfortable. A move
purely meant to impress students. But because he taught it, and because he is from out of
town, I'm sure the leaders in town will be cranking the followers around trying to emulate
him, at least until his influence is forgotten. But being a traveling teacher is a
competitive business, and I understand that you've got to have something new.

Loisa Donnay
Minneapolis, MN, where the Heartland Tango Festival opens May 9th!