[Tango-L] Torso and the Clarity of the Lead

robin tara robinctara at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 18:51:58 EDT 2008

I took a chance and danced with a stranger at a milonga on the
outskirts of town yesterday. He gave me no space and was leading by
twitching my back with his arm and hand. Then he started to try to
"teach" me. Thank heavens I finally know enough spanish to say "stop
'leading' me that way and we will do just fine." He started to argue
and I was ready to walk off the floor, but he calmed down and actually
stopped tugging. He realized very quickly that he should not make
assumptions about foreign women and their abilities. After that the
dance was much less painful and irritating even though it wasn't a
great tango, at least I was more comfortable.