[Tango-L] Torso and the Clarity of the Lead

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Apr 4 17:03:56 EDT 2008

In a recent post, someone seemed to comment favorably about a strong lead.
 Maybe I misunderstood what the person was trying to convey, but I think
it is too easy to confuse strength for clarity.  After dancing with Pablo
Veron, a woman commented to me, "He didn't lead me to move.  He just
willed me."  In observing what Pablo was doing and working on my own
mechanics what I realized that clarity comes from leading with one's
torso, and letting the arms and hands go along for a gentle ride. Strength
has very little do with clarity.  Too often I see men use their arm
strength to pull the women through the movements that they actually
haven't led very well with the movement of their torsos.

With best regards,
Steve de Tejas