[Tango-L] The cross -- another view

Martin Waxman martin at waxman.net
Fri Apr 4 16:56:15 EDT 2008

Argentine Tango is a partner dance -- it's the woman's dance too.

There are those on the list who insist that every follower's movement
in Argentine Tango is led by the leader, including the cross.

If that is so, please explain to me how you lead embellishments or
adornments by the follower?
And, if you do not lead embellishments, but do lead the cross, what
if the follower's embellishment is a crusada/a cross?

As an example of embellishments (also known as: chiches, firuletes,
adornos, ornaments, decorations, etc), and there are many among the
tango videos on Youtube, see Jennifer Bratt's channel on embellishments:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BewitchingBlackLotus

And, for those leaders who do not allow a follower pauses, or time,
or space for an improvised, unled embellishment in their dance, I
suggest you  to learn to do this.  It will add another dimension to your dance.

Marty Waxman