[Tango-L] Torso

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 11:55:54 EDT 2008

--- Dubravko Kakarigi <dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When I teach and demonstrate something, either with
> a group or individually, I insist on folks paying
> attention to my torso (including my embrace) and my
> hipwork (is there such a word? like footwork?) and
> only secondarily to my legs and feet

That is SO true.  Back when I took a lot of classes, I
noticed something that helped a lot.  Sometimes, the
teacher would have us follower her down the floor,
mimmicking her movements, her steps.

If I watched her feet, just like everyone else, I
could not react quickly enough and would make a lot of
mistakes.

If I watched her hips, I rarely made mistakes.  She
was moving from her center.  Nice!  Lesson learned!
She was doing these cool little step sequences and
embellishments to the music.  Watching her hips
allowed me to experience some really cool musicality.